DMV Seattle
WA Drivers License WA Vehicle Registration WA Car Insurance WA Car Financing  
dmv seattle > Washington-WA > Seattle Email
dmv seattle
dmv seattle
Driver's License
dmv seattle
Car Registration


Recommeded Seattle Car Insurance
dmv seattle

Washington Drivers License - Change Address

Change Drivers License Address

Choose the type of update you want to make:

Change your address

After moving, you have 10 days to change your address on your driver license. You can change your address:

Driver License Change of Address

You must report your new address to us within 10 days after moving. If you already have a Washington State driver license or identification card, you may change your address in one of the following ways:

  • Complete a change of address form and mail it to any driver licensing office. Your record will be updated electronically, but you won’t receive a new license or identification card. Instead, please write your new address in the blank space on the back of your current license or identification card using permanent ink.
  • Bring your current license and your new address to any driver licensing office. Your address information will be updated, and you may receive a new license or identification card for a $10 fee. If you are a registered voter, your voter registration usually will be updated at the same time. However, if you have moved to a different county, you will need to update your voter registration with the Secretary of State's office.

Please fill out the form completely and print it on white paper.

arrow Open the Adobe PDF iconDriver License Change of Address form.
Don’t forget your vehicle registration

You may also need to change your address on your vehicle registration. Updating your address on your driver license does NOT automatically change your address on your vehicle registration.

Back to top

Change your name

If you have officially changed your name and would like your new name to appear on your driver license, bring proof of identification and the $10 fee to a driver licensing office.

What to bring with you

As proof of identification, you will be required to present a stand-alone document with your new name on it, or one of the following:

  • Marriage certificate or license (original, filed copy)
  • Court order (filed and certified by the court)
  • Divorce decree (filed and certified by the court)
  • Original birth certificate. You may use your birth certificate only to correct errors, not to revert back to a previous name.
  • Other court or legal actions filed and/or registered with the responsible governmental agency of the recording country, province, state, county, or city

Back to top

Change your gender designation

If you would like to change the gender designation on your driver license or ID card to accurately reflect your identity, mail a written request to:

Assistant Director for Driver Policy and Programs
Department of Licensing
PO Box 9030
Olympia, WA 98507-9030

The request must include all of the following:

  • A letter from you requesting the change in gender designation. The letter must include:
    • The name, address, and gender designation shown on your current driver license or ID card.
    • The name, address, and gender designation you want on the new driver license or ID card.
    • Your current phone number.
  • A letter on official letterhead from your licensed medical, osteopathic physician or psychologist stating you have initiated the appropriate clinical treatment.
  • A photocopy of your current Washington State driver license or ID card.
  • If you want to change your name, you must also include an original or certified copy of your Court Ordered Name Change.
After your request is approved

If we approve your request, we will send you a letter authorizing you to change your gender designation. After you receive this authorization letter, you may visit any driver licensing office to update your records and get a new driver license or ID card. Bring along all of the following:

  • The authorization letter we sent you.
  • Your current driver license or ID card.
  • Cash or check to pay the $10 fee.
Enhanced driver license/ID card (EDL/EID)

See Update your EDL/EID to learn how to change the gender designation on your enhanced driver license or enhanced ID card.

Featured Seattle DMV Resources
dmv seattle dmv seattle dmv seattle dmv seattle dmv seattle
Auto Registration
More Info
Driver's License
More Info
Car Insurance
More Info
If you are looking for Car Registration information for the city of Seattle then you have found the best Seattle DMV resouce guide on the web!

Find information about specific to Seattle vehicle-related matters such as renewing your tags, transferring or replacing a title, ordering specialized or vanity plates or obtaining a bill of sale. If you’ve misplaced your Seattle, WA registration card, need to submit a change of address, or have questions on vehicle inspection and smog, you’ll find what you need here.

We also cover special vehicles such as motorcycles, boats, RVs and custom-built cars. Need information on registering a salvaged vehicle in Washington? No problem.

Because not all Seattle DOL-related business can be conducted online, we offer Seattle locations and hours info for the branch office nearest to your Seattle neighborhood. Just be sure you schedule an appointment in advance.

DMV Seattle Information by Counties

King County DMV

dmv wa  
dmv seattle
DMV Seattle WA ZIP Codes
dmv seattle 98118
dmv seattle 98141
Seattle Neighborhoods
dmv seattle
dmv seattledmv seattledmv seattledmv seattle
Copyright © 2004 All rights reserved. is not owned, operated, or affliated with the Department of Motor Vehicles or any government agency.