DMV Seattle
WA Drivers License WA Vehicle Registration WA Car Insurance WA Car Financing  
dmv seattle > Washington-WA > Seattle Email
dmv seattle
dmv seattle
Driver's License
dmv seattle
Car Registration


Recommeded Seattle Car Insurance
dmv seattle
dmv seattle

Washington Drivers License - Military Drivers

Military personnel

Washington State issues a license to military service members and their families with the word “military” in the place of the expiration date. These individuals don’t have to renew their driver licenses for the length of their military service.

Who qualifies?
  • Members of the armed forces on active duty.
  • Members of the National Guard and reservists called to duty for 180 days or more.
  • Spouses and dependents of military personnel.
When will the license expire?
  • The license is valid until 90 days after honorable discharge from active duty, unless it is suspended, cancelled, or revoked for a cause provided by law.
  • A “military” driver license issued to a reservist who has been called to active duty, or the spouse or dependent child of the reservist, remains in effect only while the person remains on active duty.
How to apply
  1. Go to any driver licensing office.
  2. Present your Washington State driver license and proof of active duty military service.
  3. If you are a spouse or child dependent, present your Washington State driver license and dependent ID card.
  4. Pay the $10 fee.
How to get a replacement license while out of state
Standard “military” license

If your driver license with a “military” expiration is lost, stolen, or damaged while you are outside of Washington State, you may request a replacement license by sending us:

Your replacement license will be labeled “identity not verified” and won’t contain a photograph or signature. Since you are not in the state to comply with photograph and identification requirements, the replacement license will be labeled “valid without photo,” “identity not verified,” and “signature not available.”

Enhanced driver license/ID card

Due to security requirements, you cannot replace your EDL/EID by mail or online. However, if you won’t be back in Washington State within 30 days, you may get a standard driver license or ID card to replace your EDL/EID. See Lost or stolen EDL/EID for more information.

How to get a license with a photograph when you return to Washington

When you return to Washington, present the “valid without photo” license at a driver licensing office with your photo ID. After you meet all requirements, you will be issued a license with a photograph.

Frequently asked questions
Am I required to get a license showing “military”?

No. Your driver license remains in effect under the same conditions as a license with “military,” even after the expiration date has passed. However, getting a license with “military” on it will ensure that we will keep a record of your license for the entire length of your military service, and make it easier for private businesses and government officials to determine that your license is valid.

How do I renew my license while I’m serving outside of Washington State?

You don’t need to renew your driver license during your term of military service. Your driver license will remain valid as long as you are on active duty.

I am not a Washington State resident. Does this apply to me?

No. If you are a non-resident and hold a license from another state, this does not affect your license.

When I retire or separate from service, what do I need to do?
  • Within 90 days after honorable discharge, you must apply for a driver license renewal. You will then receive a standard 5-year license.
  • If your separation from the service is not honorable, the military designation is void and you must renew your driver license immediately.
What do I need to have if I am stopped by law enforcement?

If you have a “military” driver license or a regular license that remains in effect for the length of your service even though the expiration date has passed, you should carry your military identification card as evidence that the license is valid. A spouse or dependent child should carry their dependent identification card.

Can I upgrade to an enhanced driver license if I have a “military” driver license?

Yes, Your new enhanced driver license will expire in 5 years, but we will keep the “military” indicator on your driving record. For more information about upgrading to an enhanced driver license, see “Can I get an EDL/EID if I have a ‘military’ license?” in the EDL/EID Frequently Asked Questions.

Featured Seattle DMV Resources
dmv seattle dmv seattle dmv seattle dmv seattle dmv seattle
Auto Registration
More Info
Driver's License
More Info
Car Insurance
More Info
If you are looking for Car Registration information for the city of Seattle then you have found the best Seattle DMV resouce guide on the web!

Find information about specific to Seattle vehicle-related matters such as renewing your tags, transferring or replacing a title, ordering specialized or vanity plates or obtaining a bill of sale. If you’ve misplaced your Seattle, WA registration card, need to submit a change of address, or have questions on vehicle inspection and smog, you’ll find what you need here.

We also cover special vehicles such as motorcycles, boats, RVs and custom-built cars. Need information on registering a salvaged vehicle in Washington? No problem.

Because not all Seattle DOL-related business can be conducted online, we offer Seattle locations and hours info for the branch office nearest to your Seattle neighborhood. Just be sure you schedule an appointment in advance.

DMV Seattle Information by Counties

King County DMV

dmv wa  
dmv seattle
DMV Seattle WA ZIP Codes
dmv seattle 98118
dmv seattle 98141
Seattle Neighborhoods
dmv seattle
dmv seattledmv seattledmv seattledmv seattle
Copyright © 2004 All rights reserved. is not owned, operated, or affliated with the Department of Motor Vehicles or any government agency.